Sunday, October 3, 2010

Multiple servings of sausage later...

Today I woke up at 7 am which, as anyone who knows me will tell you, is so unlike me. I think I was just that excited for the day to begin. I did my hair and made up my face and answered Formspring questions until TH woke up at 10.

We went upstairs where we were served eggs and sausage. The eggs were cooked in a little pot rather than a pan the way we do them in America and I really liked the result. Now to find the perfect little pan...


I also ate a plum mixture, I don't know what we would call it. They pick plums off their tree in their yard, microwave and stir them, and then seal them in a jar, no additives whatsoever. What would you call that?


T1 received a really lovely gift from his great-grandma. A pure silver pacifier inlaid with Polish amber. The front opens up to store his first tooth when he loses it!


After breakfast we headed out the door for Odpust, a celebration that was happening right outside the Catholic church that TH lives next door to. And when I say he lives next door, I mean you can hear Mass going on as soon as you step outside his front door. I would never be late to church if we lived that close. We encountered the priest, the same man who was the priest while TH was an altar boy back when he was younger. The priest has really stunning blue eyes and it was fun to hear them catch up. Apparently this priest frequently mentions that he is praying for TH to return to his Catholic roots someday :)

We walked up and down the booths, which were mostly selling the typical stuff you would find at an American fair. Toy guns and little dogs that wriggled and (sadly) Hannah Montanna junk. I was tempted by this baby hat that said "Car's" for the humorous typo, but it was $5 and a little too expensive for the quality. We ended up buying several bags of candy, a huge thing of cotton candy each (that swirl you see below cost $1!!!) and these strange snacks shaped in a square that looked like a grid... Not doing a very good job of describing them but I liked them.


We've been showered with gifts so far, including some Polish language cartoons. We are planning to set a rule that the only cartoons t1 can sit down and watch will be Polish ones to help his language acquisition.


I've hardly seen T1 at all because his grandparent's take care of him all the time! Even at night. It's pretty amazing. He does get excited when he sees me though. :) This is the perfect age to bring him because he isn't so attached to me yet that he doesn't want to be alone with anyone else. TH and I are really grateful to his parents for all of their help so far.


Standing on grandpa's lap.


For lunch we went and ate with my SIL and her almost-husband and then we walked around and took pictures of the two of them. My favorite part of the trip so far! I plan on taking lots of pictures of them on their wedding day as well.

At 6:00 pm we watched the first session of general conference, what will be our only conference session for the day. I'm ashamed to admit I fell asleep during the prophet's talk, we were both SO tired. It's all online though so I'll easily be able to catch up on it when I get home.


After one last meal (sausage sandwiches of course) it's time for bed.

We were going to go to Vienna tomorrow, and we are still going to go, but now we are going to drive and we are going on Wednesday. Tomorrow is shopping in Krakow, Tuesday will include TH spending time with his two best friends from high school (they will be talking in Polish the whole time so I guess I'll blog or something?)

Have I already said that this is my favorite trip to Poland so far? Because it is!

7 comments:

  1. Oooh! Look at that HUGE fairy floss! {That's what we call 'cotton candy')

    I'm not surprised you fell asleep - you were up so early! Jet lag is so tricky sometimes.

    Don't you just love how strange travelling is? One minute you're at home, the next day you're sitting in POLAND. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the plum thing is just a plum preserve.

    DVD wise, usually DVDs read on a different setting in Europe than they do in the US. You should be able to view it on a computer but you may not be able to on a regular DVD player.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you're having a great time so far! I'm excited to read/see more! My mother-in-law is Polish, but was born in the States, to Polish immigrants. She is always cooking Polish dishes passed from her family--a favorite being cabbage rolls (I think you spell them Golabkis?). Anyway, the plum stuff might be like a fruit compote, though I believe compote has added sugar, so perhaps not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be a fruit spread. Glad you're having fun! Have you ever been to Mass with your in-laws in Poland? Or will your SIL's wedding be your first?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you guys are having an amazing time and eating a lot of sausage! The cotton candy looks so good!!

    Sean flies into Krakow tomorrow but I think just for a layover I am not sure??? Ah I wish I was there too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww - it looks like a wonderful trip already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'd call the plum stuff plum jam!

    ReplyDelete