Thursday, October 7, 2010

One twisted ankle later...

The day that we left for Vienna started with sausage (of course). The napkins here are very different, thin like tissues, and at TH's parent's house they are dispensed by something similar to a napkin dispenser.


I discovered a new favorite addition to my breakfast sandwich, this tomato tapenade style spread.


Bye bye baby! We'll see you on Friday!


At the train station. Navigating in Poland with a Polish speaker is much easier than navigating in Austria where neither of us speak a lick.

Actually I don't speak a lick, TH knows how to correctly pronounce everything and understands a few phrases. I wish the US educational system would get with the program and more vigorously teach a second language!


Vienna! Hello! You're so pretty!

We got off the train around 4 and didn't have a whole lot of light left by the time we found our hotel and dropped our stuff off. I decided to follow part of the "36 hours in Vienna" itinerary that the NYT created and oh my, I think that made the trip!


We took a few pictures around St Stephens.


Then we wandered around the coolest grocery store I've ever been in, I think it was called Julius Meinl. All of the candies had labels telling you the country of origin for each product, and the candy/sweets selection in particular was top knotch. There was a second floor but we didn't dare visit because we knew we would end up spending the whole night there!


We ate at a place called something like Into the Stars (I'll link to it on That Wife), and...

AMAZING
DIVINE
INCREDIBLE
ONE OF THE BEST MEALS I'VE EVER HAD


All caps are most certainly necessary, it was that good. I had goat cheese zeroes and lamb bathed in pumpkin sauce. I never knew that meat could literally melt in your mouth, but I assure you, it can.


My expression does not properly convey how thrilled I am with the food.


The crepes, accompanied by avocado chunks and a mango reduction.


The last place we decided to visit (per the NYT suggestion) was called Palmenhaus. Just past the Spanish riding stadium place I was so engrossed with my conversation with TH that I stepped off a sidewalk the wrong way and rolled my ankle! Many many :('s.

I was fine and able to keep walking (it's 24 hours later and I walked all day), but it is a bit sore and I have to be careful I don't roll it at all anymore.

Palmenhaus was good, not great, but we did order fancy non-alcoholic drinks that we loved (note to restaurant managers, if you put put a list of alcohol free suggestions the non drinkers are much more likely to up their bill!). The location is an atrium filled with greenery and the projection of an aquarium. Very hip.

By the time we made it home we were exhausted (note to self: get in shape and increase your endurance before going on vacation!) I sat down and planned out the next day based on all of your comments on That Wife and crawled into bed excited to see what the next day would bring!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing! I am soooo happy you are having SUCH great time! You look so cute and unbelievably happy! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI: Julius Mienl also exists in Chicago. As far as I know, there are two, one by Wrigly and one in Lincoln Square. I've been to the one in Wrigleyville area several times. It's more cafe than store, but is Austrian. The food is amazing and they have many pastries and cakes. They also have a wall of coffees and teas and other stuff from Austria. You should check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely must tell you, especially since you were self-conscious about this trip, that you and TH both look TOTALLY FAB. You seriously look lovely! Maybe Europa agrees with you, but I think it's more just that you are a beautiful person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad still argues that Julius Meinl coffee is the best he has ever had (he's a big coffee drinker). We lived in Vienna over 20 years ago, and he still says it's the best. Not that this comment matters much to you as a non-coffee drinker. I just miss Wien I guess. Glad that you are enjoying the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TH looks very handsome with a bit of face scruff. But I know you polled your readers about that a while ago. :-)

    These posts make me want to visit Vienna!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenna! I don't comment very often at all, but I just had to tell you that you look amazing!! You look so happy, healthy, and thin!! Seriously, you look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was just going to second what Naomi said. Julius Meinl in Wrigleyville (Addison and Southport) or Lincoln Square is fabulous. It would actually be a great place for a client meeting when you have those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks and sounds like so much fun! I bet you're loving getting so much extra sleep too!

    I know a lot of drinks can be made "virgin," without alcohol, if you request that at restaurants that don't have an extensive non-alcoholic list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How amazing! I agree - Europe agrees with you, J. :) Hope your ankle remains fine - I have the worst habit of rolling mine, ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In Chicago, Julius Meinl is a coffee shop: http://www.meinl.com/. It's on the North Side of the city, but it's one of my favorite places to grab coffee (and the food is excellent). As I understand it, they are only located in Vienna and Chicago. Check it out when you get back to the States!

    ReplyDelete