Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Several bags of Christmas gifts later...

I'm working this on Tuesday morning because yesterday we came home from Krakow and I collapsed into bed at 9:30. Now it's 8:30 am and I am feeling REALLY good.

A little recap of our day yesterday...

A typical Polish breakfast


Confession: I haven't changed a single diaper or fed T1 or done a single thing for him since we stepped off the plane. To say his grandparents are enamored would be an understatement. When I say I slept 11 hours last night I mean I slept 11 hours uninterrupted!

Here he is sleeping under grandpa's "wall of knives". There is a "wall of saints" on the other side, which I thought was funny.


This is a kiwi! A teeny tiny crazy delicious kiwi. I thought these only grew in New Zealand or something. TH's dad is really into landscaping and so far I've snacked on kiwi, apple, and plum from their backyard.


The room we are sleeping in belonged to TH until he left for America, then his sister moved in and put her stamp on the decor in the form of this mural. I think it's beautiful and I wish I was as ambitious.


Yesterday our day was filled with a trip to Krakow. It took us two hours to get to the city center when the GPS was telling us it should only take 45 minutes. I was glad I wasn't the one driving because 95% of the time I had no idea how anyone could tell what the rules are at the intersections. TH did a lot of guessing and we had a LOT of narrow misses. (Oh and we are back to riding the train to Vienna again :) )

Krakow is big, but very old. I heard some English in the town square, marking it as a prime tourist area so I kept my hand on my bag (a purple Kelly Moore which I would like to write a review about because I'm puzzled why it has no zipper, making it much too easy for a their to slip their hand in and walk away with a $2000 lens!) a vicelike grip on my camera, and my phone in my pocket in case pickpockets were trolling. TH didn't even want me to bring my camera at all (it stresses him out), but we agreed on the body and two lenses. I didn't really take that many pictures anyway because we spent the while time shopping! Mom, Grandma, Shay, Kelli and a few of our other favorite people are getting some really beautiful Polish Christmas gifts this year! I even bought a little something for some of my clients (my current clients have been so patient with my delayed turn around time due to our move, love them).


Here is a peek at what we bought for our living room. It has a touch of blue in it that will make it look beautiful in the living room Kristin has helped design for us! I was proud of myself for doing a little haggling, though I'm pretty awful at it and really only saved $10 off the quoted price.


Krakow was busy and bustling! These horse drawn carriages were a favorite among tourists.


We had gone from the breakfast you see pictured at the top of this post until 7:00 pm without eating and TH was very very hungry (I've been overeating like crazy here so I haven't felt actual hunger for days). I was trying to follow the "don't eat at a place where the menus has English" rule, but in a tourist area like that it was going to be impossible. We argued back and forth until finally TH insisted we eat right then and there at a fast food style kebab place. He did the ordering and we laughed about the worker who didn't really speak English OR Polish.


TH didn't really like his meal but mine was ok because I was eating vegetarian! I've grown to love my vegetable heavy lifestyle and I'm looking forward to a big huge farmer's market trip when I get home.


Today (Tuesday) I think we are headed to a different area to do even more shopping, and tonight will be guys night for TH. I plan on getting through more of The Dirt on Clean. If you have it I hope you've been enjoying it as much as I have!

Now to go shower. And sausage for breakfast of course!

11 comments:

  1. I think it's great that your in-laws are really using the time spent with T1 while they can. Makes for a great vacation for you & TH as well. Print looks beautiful - and what a shame about your bag! Seems silly not to have a zipper, even for something like water protection if it rains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your travel posts from Poland. When I visited it was one of my favorite countries! I also loved Krakow. We ate at a glorious family restaurant by the castle (? sorry it has been 4 years since I actually went) where the owners took over our meal and gave us such delicious fare. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're having a great time. My brother spent some time in Poland and loved it, mainly for the food and the pretty women, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your pictures! But dang, the Kelly Moore bag doesn't have a zipper?!?! That's ridiculous. What crackhead had THAT idea? Not going to buy one now and that makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my goodness, that pacifier is exquisite! wow. just, wow! and um, i kinda want one now. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. shoots. i commented on the wrong post. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love the artwork in this post. I love that TH's sister hung up, and the painting that you haggled over is so lovely. We've collected art from our travels to, and even though lots of it is stuff under a bed (due to lack of wallspace), I know that it will be put to use later in my life.

    (Is there a backstory on the wall of knives?!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was told once that you can grow kiwi in waden, wa...just as long as you have a female and male plant. I always wanted to try it in Moses Lake, but never did. supposedly a lady i worked with had it growing at her parents house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I had known you were going to Krakow and Vienna... I lived in Vienna and love Krakow. Go back to Krakow if it's driving distance - just for the apple cake at Cafe Camelot. Mmmm. Be sure you sit in the little bay window at the table for two. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's nothing like a day of shopping when you are on vacation. It's fun to see what other cities/countries sell.

    Kiwis are grown in South-West France too, the climate is very similar to the one of New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete